Monday 7 November 2011

Laura Marling.....

I bought Laura Marling's new album yesterday. I had a really none stop Sunday thinking about it.....Willowpool, Trafford Centre and the cinema to watch Tin Tin with the boyfriend.. Anyyway, I've been a massive Laura Marling fan for quite a few years now, If you have never listened to her you really should and I mean really should. She has this delicate yet powerful voice that really sends shivers down your spine. And she is stunning, without all the Make-Up and hair. She has this plain sense of style yet elegant, i'm thinking vintage Spice Girls tee with skinny jeans and converse. It's grunge but she really pulls it off.

At just 21 she has three albums under her belt: Alas I Cannot Swim, I Speak Because I Can and her latest A Creature I don't know.

Her songs are really breath taking and with her being so young, you would think these songs were written by a woman of 30. Her songs reflect on different matters, love being one of them.
Laura had a relationship with Noah and the Whale front man Charlie Fink. The album The First Days of Spring, written mostly by Fink, is about their break up when they were 17 / 18. I'm not a big Noah and the Whale fan, but if you listen to some of the songs on that album it's very obvious his songs reflect on a bad break up. The song, Stranger is about Finks first one night stand since his break up. It's heart breaking when you listen to it.

New Romantic is my one of my favourite songs written by Marling, partly because I can personally relate to it and partly because it's a stunning piece of music. Laura sings "I know I said I love you but I'm thinking I was wrong, I'm the first to admit that I'm still pretty young ".
Her songs have depth and meaning, she's not scared of being herself and all three of her albums reflect on how she has grown as a person.

Here is a live version of her singing New Romantic.

Are you a Laura Marling Fan? What is you're favourite album?

Hope you enjoyed my ramble.

All my love, Kathryn xx

No comments:

Post a Comment